Though there are massive businesses begin to use various social media to do marketing, marketing for art and design businesses is still undeveloped.
There is still plenty of room to use social media to market creative businesses.
A lot of creatives come from artistic background, not familiar with technology stuff. It results in they cannot produce some Internet-friendly marketing material (e.g. a post which is easy to be searched online, a search engine friendly website..etc ), that made them think social media cannot really not work for them.(98% art and design businesses involve in social media sites, but more than 40% thought social media just slightly useful even not useful at tall.)
Twitter is a good example which would be a impressive e marketing tools for art and design businesses but low using by creative businesses.
According to the result of my survey of Creative businesses, there are just 10% of art and design small businesses using Twitter.
Somehow, 400% users growth of Twitter last year(resource from Nielson PR team's report), shows that how this social media sites fascinating emerging.
I believe that Twitter would be a great idea to spread you new works news to your friends.
One month ago, when I suggestedTwitter to Nineteen74.com, my boss was doubt about that.Luckily, after a week, he came back to me and told me that is fascinating to help him to spread Ninetten74.com news
check out the following link, might inspire some ideas about how to market your new creative works.
I picked up some points would be applied in small art and design start ups
1. Use some popular terms, in order to be easily searched.(lol, it was my latest experience, one intesting person found me via the term I used on twitter.) If you are doing some niche style works, you can use the niche terms + some popular terms(e.g chinese art/investment/Internet marketing..etc Whatever the hottest relevant terms.)
2. Use Twitter as a news annocement tool. Remember, when promoting a new works or a new post on ur site, ask a question or explain what’s coming next, instead of just dumping a link.
3. Follow the relevant people, and see what he/she follow. Mainly focus on your clients and target clients/market. Twitter is a good way to find out where is your target market through following people and see who they following. (some artists always complained to me, they don't know where does their target markets locate)
4. Use Twitter as customer relations maintaining and marketing information acquisition tool. You can get up-to-date market informations when the people you following, update their twitters. You can know how people think and make response.
BTW, I think I should quote some downsite of Twitter
The Negatives People Will Throw At You
- Twitter takes up time.
- Twitter takes you away from other productive work.
- Without a strategy, it’s just typing.
- There are other ways to do this.